Sociology students’ club “Discrepancy” invites you (once again) to participate in a symposium on health and illness!
our symposium, which was initially planned to take place during April 2020, but got postponed due to coronavirus outbreak, will be held online!
International symposium “Society of health and illness” will be held from 10th to 12th March in 2021., via Zoom platform.
ABOUT THE SUBJECT
Despite the prevailing picture of health and illness as results of life choices at the individual level, contemporary social processes indicate more and more clearly that health and illness are to a considerable extent socially conditioned. Sociology aims to determine the social environment, institutional conditions, and social inequalities in order to link them with an unequal distribution of health and illness along the social hierarchy. Health, as it is defined by the World Health Organization, is „a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity“. It can be influenced by the socioeconomic status of an individual, presence, and quality of public healthcare, degree of pollution of natural resources and a number of other factors that can’t be reduced to lifestyle and genetic inheritance.
The purposes of this symposium are to encourage a discussion about the processes that influence the overall level of health in a society, their economic, historical and political causes and implications as well as interdisciplinary communication and informing the interested public.
APPLICATION FOR PARTICIPATION
- in order to hold a lecture at the symposium, one needs to fill out the application form
- application form
- filled-out application forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- the deadline for sending applications is prolonged to February 21st, 2021
- official language of the symposium is Croatian, with the possibility of holding a lecture in English
- participation is entirely free
- all accepted applicants will be timely notified and will receive an invitation to the Zoom conference on their e-mail address
- SOCIAL HISTORY OF HEALTH AND ILLNESS (development of healthcare organizations nd institutions; medicine as a profession etc.)
- INFLUENCE OF (class, gender, racial) INEQUALITY ON HEALTH AND ILLNESS
- GLOBAL DIFFERENCES IN HEALTH AND ILLNESS (global North-South divide; capitalist center and periphery countries…)
- MARKET INFLUENCE ON HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (outsourcing; lobbying and monopoly in pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries)
- RELATIONS OF POLITICAL AGENTS AND HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (financing; legislation; development strategies and so forth)
- SOCIETAL IMPACT OF CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
- MENTAL HEALTH
- REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
- HEALTH AND MASS MEDIA (beauty standards; advertising of medicines and medical services; presentation of healthy lifestyle, etc.)
- HEALTH AND THE INTERNET (cyberchondria; health forums and groups on social media)
- HEALTH AND EDUCATION (introduction of health education)
- HEALTH, ILLNESS AND ECOLOGY (influence of pollution and climate change on health)
- POPULAR AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
It is possible to submit presentations that aren’t covered by the aforementioned subject suggestions but are connected to the general subject of the symposium.
All information regarding the symposium is available on the Facebook page of the event and on the SSCD pages.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/diskrepancija/
Instagram profile: https://www.instagram.com/kss.diskrepancija/?hl=en
We are looking forward to your papers and participation!